2.27.2008

Easter Cookies

I haven't started on my Easter cookies for this year yet, but with the holiday less than a month away I'm already planning!


These are from last year. I still love the "chick".... and will probably use that one again this year! As for the Easter Eggs.... I have big plans for those! And a few more in mind also.... :)



I've tried a few different Cut-Out Cookie recipes, but my *favorite* is from allrecipes.com


Thick Cut Outs


6 egg yolks
4 eggs
2 cups butter, softened
2 1/8 cups white sugar
7 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (um... i use quite a bit more!)



In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. (I use parchment paper) On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on to the prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


This makes a very large batch of cookies.



The Icing on these cookies is not one I use often, but it is delicious!



Toba Garrett's Glace Icing


1 lb. confectioners' sugar

3/8 cup milk

3/8 cup light corn syrup

flavoring as desired


In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined. Divide to flavor and add color.



I always double this recipe, mainly because the powdered sugar I buy comes in 2 lb. bags. :)


No comments: